(and why you need to teach this to your kids!)
Gamer Eetiquette simply put, is also known as "How not to be a total douche gamer".
Before I start in on the rules, here is some simple parental common sense; Monkey See, Monkey Do. Are you fully aware of the kind of gamer you are? There are all sorts of gamers in this world and it's okay if your brand of gaming is a little louder and mouthier than most. Another important thing we need to teach our children is to never be afraid to be yourself. Aside from that, it's pretty much inevitable that if you're a gamer nerd (like myself), then your kids most likely will be gamer nerds as well. This applies just as much to Table-Top Gamers & LARPers so EVERYONE pay attention!
Without further ado, GAMER ETIQUETTE
1. IT'S JUST A GAME! This is THE golden rule of gaming in any form. Just because the game gets hard, frustrating or even if life keeps you from being able to find time to play...it's just a game. It doesn't rate that high on your list of priorities.
2. IF PLAYING WITH NOOBS, BE PATIENT WITH THEM. BETTER YET, TEACH THEM THE GAME AND THEY WILL IMPROVE EVEN FASTER! Think of it this way, you are the master; they are padawans. Teach them the ways of the force.
3. UNLESS THEY ARE SOMEONE YOU KNOW WELL, PLAY NICE AND MIND WHAT YOU SAY! You want to get reported? That's how you get reported. As a woman gamer I can tell you know that if I was playing online with a guy or two and one of them asked me to go back into the kitchen and make them a sandwich, I would have no problem pulling a total bitch move and sniping them from the top of a tall building. Just saying.
4. DON'T BE POOR SPORT. SEE RULE #1 FOR REASON
5. SET YOURSELF A TIME LIMIT OR A REASONABLE BLOCK OF TIME FOR GAMING. Life has to come first. Bills have to get paid. Homework has to be done. Chores must be completed. If you have ever had to get the latest game and then complain about how you can't pay the rent on time if not at all this month, then maybe you need to reconsider your priorities.
6. WHEN YOU ARE DONE PLAYING THE GAME, DON'T JUST LEAVE IT OUT FOR PIECES TO GET LOST, DISCS TO GET SCRATCHED, OR IN THE MACHINE TO GET ETCHED TO HELL AND GONE. PUT IT AWAY!
7. ALWAYS SAVE YOUR GAME! IF THE POWER GOES OUT BEFORE YOUR NEXT SAVE, DON'T PANIC! TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND CHANT RULE #1.
8. THE GM, DM, ST, ETC... DOESN'T HAVE A VINDETTA AGAINST YOU. S/HE HAS A VINDETTA AGAINST EVERYONE!
9. NEW VERSION OF A GAME? DON'T BE A DICK TO YOUR STORE CLERK. ALWAYS RESERVE A COPY AND PAY IN ADVANCE.
10. IT'S JUST A GAME! Yes, I posted this twice. This rule is the Alpha & Omega of Gaming Etiquette.
I'm sure there are other rules but these ones more or less apply to all styles of gaming, or so I tried. I would like to emphasis how important this is to teach rules like this to your budding gamer(s).
Do you have unspoken rules of gaming you need to express? Share them below in the comments or comment on my Facebook Page!